Merit College Preparatory Academy will endow all students with the knowledge and skills required to excel in higher education and with the understanding essential for civic and social responsibility.
- Higher education is a key to ensuring economic opportunities and prosperity for individuals and their future posterity.
- The future success of our society depends on the development of a deep sense of social and civic responsibility with strong leadership qualities in today’s students.
- No background or circumstances should prevent any student from reaching high levels of educational and social achievement.
- By being challenged to grow through personal commitment to a rigorous academic environment that is designed to model a university setting, students will be prepared with the necessary skills to reach their highest academic potential.
- Through community involvement and curriculum requirements, students will be given opportunities to develop a sense of social and civic responsibility as well as ethical judgment, and to develop courage and leadership to act according to skills and knowledge gained.
The University Model.
The core subjects of Language Arts, Social Studies, Science, and Mathematics will model courses taught in a university setting. This will be achieved by the following:
- Classrooms that are specially designed to accommodate 45 students in a lecture setting and will be divided into three separate sections with 15 students for small group instruction, lab work, discussion groups and project work. Classes will have lectures on some days and will be divided into study/lab groups on other days.
- Every core classroom will have a licensed teacher and two teaching assistants who are specialized in the area of instruction. When classes are divided into three groups, each group of 15 will have an instructor.
- Students will master subject material through readings, interactive lectures and, hands-on application of subject areas in study/lab groups.
- MCPA will train students in university level writing standards and require them to write papers in MLA and APA style according to the subject area.
- Students will be required to develop an educational portfolio that demonstrates mastery of subject areas gained through showcases of personal work and achievements.
- Students will be allowed the opportunity to show mastery of subjects and improve their grades through extra papers and extra hands-on projects that are agreed to by the teacher.
School Spirit, Identity and Theme.
- MCPA has chosen the Knight as its emblem.
- Each student will be identified as a “Knight” of Merit Academy.
- School spirit, identity, and being a Merit Knight will be based on principles of honor, honesty, service, friendship, courtesy, courage, team building, fellowship, dedication, and fair play.
- All elements of the school and its extra-curricular activities will be based on the above principles and the school will feature a theme of famous knights and well known legends in so far as they are found to be inoffensive.
- The central theme and the principles that will be associated with being a Merit Knight will provide the foundation for a strong identity and structure for each student to develop a sense of belonging and pride in their achievements at the school and in their service to the community.
- The Student Council will be referred to as the Round Table Council. Students who are elected will become “Knights of the Round Table” and will have responsibilities that include meeting with administrators and counseling staff as student liaisons, providing feedback to administrators, committees, and clubs for school activities, promoting school activities, publishing a student newsletter, graduation planning, and other appropriate responsibilities.
- The principles and theme will foster a strong and positive personal philosophy and attitude in every student.
Real World Contexts for Learning.
Business Education/Merit Mall Example
- MCPA will provide the opportunity for students to receive extensive business training and experience through the Business Instructional Focus Track and through hands-on application of business practices that will be provided by student participation in the day-to-day operations of Merit Mall, a student-manned business.
- Business Education at MCPA will teach students the fundamentals of business management, merchandising, and accounting and will allow students to develop organizational, management, creative innovation, and interpersonal skills.
- Students will be able to create new business departments or to further develop current departments within Merit Mall and will gain class credit by creating, running, and managing their own small businesses.
- Merit Mall will be at the front of the school and will be accessible to the general public as well as to the school community. An adult school staff member will be present at all times in the Mall.
- Merit Mall will begin by having a supplies department, a clothing department, a merchandise department, and a computer support department that will be open to the community.
MCPA will offer its own variety of intramural sports and non sports activities. Activities offered will be determined by available facilities, student interest, staff qualifications and how well the activity works within the scope of the school. We hope to compete with other schools on a 1A or 2A level.
The goal of the extra-curricular activities is to provide students with exposure to a variety of healthy life-long learning activities which is part of the MCPA focus on giving students a balanced approach to life which adds to the overall mission of student success in society.
Some examples include:
- Marching Band
- Art History
- Film Making
- Commercial Art
- Music Aesthetics
- Music Composition
- Music Theory
- Track and Field
- Student Store (Merit Mall)
- Computer / Technology (various)